Saturday, July 30, 2011

I Shall Arise

By Angela Harwood

Ever since I can remember I’ve been tripping over my two feet, walking into walls, slipping and then falling up or down the stairs. It’s inevitable I’ve learned how to laugh at myself through these embarrassing moments in my life, but the moments when I fall spiritually, laughter is buried deep within me due to the conviction that grips my heart.

"Rejoice not against me, O mine enemy: when I fall, I shall arise; when I sit in darkness, the LORD shall be a light unto me." (Micah 7:8)

 Jesus knows we’re going to fail Him from time to time. I’m happy the Bible doesn’t paint a facade to make us think we’ll never fail. This verse says, "When I fall" not "If I fall," it isn’t having lack of faith, its reality. We are not perfect, that’s why we need a perfect Savior to run to when we’re hurting, afraid, seeking direction, and when we’ve fallen and feel like we can’t go on. When we are in the darkest place in our life, somehow God can shine His light and lead us.

One of the greatest strategies of the enemy is tempting us to sin and then if we give in to the temptation he’ll kick us while we’re down and rejoice. He’ll whisper lies saying, "I thought you were a Christian, if you get back up, you’ll be a hypocrite."

If I stepped out of my car today, slipped on a banana peel and fell flat on my face, I wouldn’t just stay there on the ground. I wouldn’t watch people walk by. If it started to rain, I wouldn’t just lay there and let the rain beat down on me. I’d get up again. Sure I might be a little embarrassed. Yeah, maybe I would have a few scrapes on my knee and dirt on my clothes, but I’m going to bandage up my wounds and brush off the dirt.

When we fall spiritually, we need to get up again. It’s important to brush it off and ask our loving Savior to forgive us. That’s how we grow as Christians. A cool Gatorade quote comes to mind, "You can either throw in the towel or you can use it to wipe the sweat off your face." We have a choice to give up when things get a bit hard, or we can look the devil in the eye and say, "I shall arise, the LORD is going to be my guiding light." God, in our weakness can fill us with His perfect strength. The Bible gives us a promise... "Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy." (Jude 1:24)

 Know that God is able to keep you from falling and keep in mind when you do stumble that God is there to help you get back on track. Speak in faith, "I shall arise!"

Editor’s Note: Angela Harwood currently serves as youth pastor and music minister at the United Pentecostal Church, (Pastor Reginald R. Harwood,) in Elliot Lake, Ontario. She is a graduate of Apostolic Bible Institute in Saint Paul, Minnesota. As a licensed minister with the UPCI, Angela desires to reach this world with the gospel of Jesus Christ, and above all, please her Savior. - mjk


***

 

No comments:

Post a Comment