Monday, June 30, 2014

Ten Things My Dad Taught Me!

By Mark Henry

Text: Isaiah 38:18-20 -- "For the grave cannot praise Thee, death cannot celebrate Thee: they that go down into the pit cannot hope for Thy truth. The living, the living, he shall praise Thee, as I do this day: the father to the children shall make known Thy truth. The LORD was ready to save me: therefore we will sing my songs to the stringed instruments all the days of our life in the house of the LORD."

At the age of twelve, Jesus said, "Wist ye not that I must be about my Father's business?" Early on, He knew He was on a mission ordained by His Father, and had already purposed in His heart to carry it out faithfully.
.
My father and mother were divorced when I was still very young. I would spend the school weekdays with Mom and go to my Dad's on Fridays after school. Every Friday, as soon school let out, I'd climb to the highest point on the playground and begin my watch for my dad's truck to come into view. Many times over the years he took me with him to job sites. There I learned many important lessons. I've listed ten of them for this Father's Day message...

  1. Work Hard - Not just a conqueror, but "more than conquerors." Dad said, "If you're willing to do hard work, you'll always have a job, 'cause [most] people won't work hard."
  2. Do the Right Thing - Do it the right way. Share the truth with your children.
  3. Hang in There - Life doesn't always bring pleasant surprises. Stay in the game. Never give up!
  4. With Privilege Comes Responsibility - Be faithful in the small things and God will open the door to greater things. Peter was given the "keys"-- and also the responsibility (Acts 2, 8, & 10)
  5. Be Faithful - Mark worked at pizza delivery for seven years - Dad said, "Work it well and see what happens." Clean the toilet, do whatever needs doing. Rejoice! Do it as unto the Lord!
  6. God Will Make a Way - God will never allow you to get into a situation where He can't/won't provide the solution (a way of escape).
  7. Reminders are Needed - Repetition/drill! It's needed! Read it again! Quit resisting! Get it done! Get busy! Otherwise, you're wasting time.
  8. Learn to Take Correction - Sin has consequences. (Sinking sand, Bottomless pit) "Go and sin no more!" Walk in the Spirit - be led bu it! This proves you're a "son of God." Don't run away! Running makes for spiritual anemia. "Spiritual teenagers" won't take it. Growth is God's goal. He's a loving Father.
  9. Let God Take You Home -- We don't know who's hurting. Wait on God's timing - He knows when - don't take it into your own hands. When HE's Ready!
  10. Get Your Head Up! - Keep looking up! Redemption draws near. Your Help comes from "up." (the hills) Be strong, keep the commandments of God.
Editor's Note: Bro Mark Henry and his family serve as associate minsters under Bro. George Hicks in Boulder, Colorado. They visited with us over Father's Day weekend and New Life was blessed and strengthened by their ministry. He was recently ordained by the Colorado District of the United Pentecostal Church International.


No comments:

Post a Comment