Saturday, June 30, 2012

Comparison - the Thief of Joy

By Rachel Coltharp

I met a thief in the hospital on Thursday; baby G contracted a virus and became dehydrated. While we were in turn to be called, the thief made his appearance
on a waiting room T.V. game show...

The show featured four brides who attended each other’s weddings and then rated them in effort to win an exotic honeymoon.

The once-in-a-lifetime event, the day that they had each meticulously planned, every detail given heartfelt attention to, was stripped of its meaning, and given a number.

“They should have used more color.”
“Her dress was too plain.”
“The chicken was dry.”
“The flowers looked skimpy.”
“The music wasn’t very good.”

The sacred ceremony reduced to a score card. And for what? A trip. The trade off just doesn’t add up. You can save up for an exotic trip, but your wedding day - it’s a one-time deal. The vows, two people becoming one, the celebration with friends and family reduced to competition. Who could think this would be a good idea?

But I have done the same thing. Many times. I have allowed pinterest birthday party photos to make me feel like a dullard mother. I have ogled Facebook photos of my friends vacations, not in an "I’m so glad for you" way either. I have, in short, drunk the poison elixir of comparison.

When we choose to sip from the cup of the joy thief, we ingest a biting brew of bitterness, a dour drink of discontent, a poison pint of pity.

Our Creator knew the joy thief would like nothing better than to strip us of the joy in our lives. II Corinthians 2:10 warns us against the foolishness of comparing ourselves, of measuring ourselves with others.

Like David, we can choose to say, “my cup runneth over.” My cup may be smaller than yours, it may be wood, yours may be gold, but it’s the cup God trusted me with. If I compare mine with yours, I’m saying that God does not know what is best for me. To be wise, we must lay down the measuring stick, the scorecard, the measuring cup.

So go ahead, pour up a big ol' cup of gratitude, and start sipping. That ol' joy thief, he can go pour his poisonous brew somewhere else. On T.V. perhaps, where it seems he is
welcomed, encouraged, and celebrated.

I’m going to keep opening up the Book of Wisdom and let it’s waters of life keep filling my cup, and my home. On Facebook and Pinterest, I'm going to sip while I interact,
practice as I pin; and as for me and my "mouse," we will serve the Lord!

Editor's Note: Rachel Coltharp, pastor's wife and mother of four, labors along-side of her husband, Brent Coltharp, who is District Superintendent for the Illinois District. and pastors First Apostolic Church in Aurora, Illinois.

No comments:

Post a Comment