Thursday, January 31, 2013

Overwhelmed...

By Donna Franklin

[Dedicated to my pastor's lovely wife, Sis. Pamela Erwin, who understands overwhelmed hearts.]

"From the end of the earth will I cry unto Thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the Rock that is higher than I." (Psalm 61:2)

According to my dictionary, to be overwhelmed is to be engulfed; to be submerged as whatever overwhelms you surges over you, overcomes you completely, overpowers you. No wonder the Psalmist said he would cry out to the Lord when his heart was overwhelmed.

Sometimes circumstances seem to "pile on" - that's just what happened to Job, and I am sure his heart was overwhelmed. The book of Job records his crying out to God, needing deliverance and longing to understand why his suffering came and why it was so severe.

There are other times in the Bible when God's people found themselves absolutely overwhelmed, but it wasn't always a negative. Think about what happened in the upper room when the Holy Ghost fell and the disciples were engulfed, overcome, overpowered. And note that they didn't stop crying out to the Lord!

Regardless of our circumstances, Jesus is totally in control. We can cast our cares upon Him, and we can be content in whatever state we're in. So... perhaps I can write a new psalm about being positively overwhelmed:

"From the end of the earth will I cry unto Thee; When my heart is overwhelmed..."
Let it be overwhelmed with love for You.
Let it be overwhelmed with thanksgiving for my salvation.
Let it be overwhelmed with peace and joy because Your Spirit lives in me.
Let it be overwhelmed with wonder at all Your mighty works.
Let it be overwhelmed with amazement when I consider Calvary.
Let it be overwhelmed with faith and trust in my Rock.
Let it be overwhelmed with humility to have been chosen as one of God's people.
Let it be overwhelmed with laughter when I realize all Your promises are for me, too.
Let it be overwhelmed with awe because I've received the revelation of WHO You are.
Let it be overwhelmed with worship in Spirit and in Truth,

Author's Note: This psalm is a gift to anyone who enjoys it. Feel free to re-write it or add to it.

Editor's Note: Sis. Donna Franklin lives in Ada, Oklahoma and attends the Paoli United Pentecostal Church, (Paoli, Oklahoma,) Pastor Terry Erwin.

No comments:

Post a Comment