Thursday, February 28, 2013

We Never Know It All

By Carol Warfield

As a young child of fifteen, I was filled with the Holy Ghost in Memphis, Tennessee. I'd acknowledged God when I was six because of my mother's faith in God.

After receiving the Holy Ghost, I served God in all the ways I was taught according to the Scriptures. By 1970, at the Schoolcraft church, I found myself comfortable, just sitting on the pews. Before I knew it, I was out of church, not going anywhere.

Now, I understand why we are warned in I Timothy 4:14, about neglecting the "Gift" that is in us. Too many people are sitting in the church and not growing because they choose not to eat as the Word of God is being preached. Having for many years being guilty myself, I hope to help someone else to take note of where they are concerning this state of mind.

I came back to church in the early 1980's by the grace and mercy of God, who loved me and wanted me to find my way back to Him. I was refilled with His precious Spirit. Soon after, on a Sunday morning, Sis. Fern Grisham spoke to us from the pulpit, saying, "I'm reading the Bible through for the 23rd time."

I thought to myself, "Wow! I've not read it through once!" That was in 1983. I determined to start reading it through that year. After that, I vowed to God that I would read it through at least one time a year. Then, after reading it through several more times, I asked God to allow me to read it through each year for as many years as I had lived upon the earth. I was in my sixties when I realized I had read it more times than my years. I then asked to be able to read it 100 times and reached that on July 13, 2012. Now, the purpose in my heart is to continue to read it through again and again until Jesus comes in the Rapture, or He takes me home by way of the grave. I'm now on my 105th time.

The reason why I'm sharing this with you is this; had I been in the Word at the time I failed God, perhaps I would not have turned from God. It's His Word that keeps us from the world.

While reading His Word, so many times we listen but don't perceive the meaning or interpret it rightly. While listening to Pastor Ken Foreman preach one night, he pointed out something I had never given a thought to. He spoke about three heavens! He took his text from where Paul was speaking about the third heaven. (II Corinthians 12:2) Oh my, I only thought of heaven and earth, one of each. I said to myself, "How could I overlook this when it is mentioned so many times from Genesis to Revelation?"

He explained the three heavens; 1.) the atmosphere in which we live and breathe, (II Peter 3:10) 2.) Space, which includes the moon, planets, sun, stars. which in turn controls time, days and seasons. Space has no air (oxygen) to facillitate breathing, (Psalm 19:1) 3.) Paradise, the place where God dwells, where His Throne is. (II Corinthians 12:2)

Now, you need to understand that I had no high school education. I dropped out of school in the ninth grade. I could read, write, and spell somewhat, with the help of a dictionary. So I could read God's Word - Praise God! My father couldn't read or write. He came from a large family and had to leave school to work in the fields. (This was not uncommon in those days.) My mother had only fifth grade, she worked in the fields also. That's where they met and later got married.

As I thought about all the many times the word "heavens" is in the Scriptures from Genesis to Revelation, I wonder how could I have overlooked it?

There are many treasures hidden in the Word of God. Unless God opens our understanding, we are blind and cannot see them. Although it takes a great deal of time and patience, staying in the Word of God will work to reveal to us the truth that was there all the time. Knowing that, Jesus so sweetly demonstrated this in Luke 24:27-51. He first opened the Word concerning Himself, (vs. 27,) He entered their home, (vs. 29,) He opened their eyes, (vs. 31,) they realized He had opened the Scriptures to them, (vs. 32,) when He appeared to the whole group, He again opened their understanding, (vs. 45,) He gave them an open promise, (vs. 47,) and they saw the heavens open to receive Him (vs. 51).

What a truly merciful and wonderful God! He reveals Himself to us through His Word. It is not His will that any should perish. Only God is All-Knowing!

Editor's Note: Carol and her husband, Don Warfield are pillars in New Life. They lead our Home Bible Studies, usher, teach, and bless the family of God in many ways. Sis.Carol's gift for making visitors feel at home is another blessing, which is deeply appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment