Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The Hold, the Hole, and the Whole

By Betty D. Austin

As I was on hold during a call to 36th District Court, the strangest thoughts began coming to me about the word hold.  It is a word whose pronunciation is similar to a few other words in the English language. For instance, this is what began running through my mind: hold – hole – whole. So, I started jotting down – as I was on hold – hold, hole, and whole! Then I proceeded to write this article, "The Hold, the Hole, and the Whole."

I thought about the meaning of each of these words, my phrases, and their spiritual portent. A hold is definitely a place where something is held fast, something or someone that constrains a person or object. There is a force that has definitely laid hold of us but at the same time, we have a hold on Someone who also has a hold on us – on our heart! That Someone is Jesus Christ, the One who has all power in heaven and earth.

Matthew 28:18 - "And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto Me in heaven and in earth."

This opposing and evil force has definitely laid hold of us, thinking to place us in a hole.

Psalm 18:4-5 - "The sorrows of death compassed me, and the floods of ungodly men made me afraid. The sorrows of hell compassed me about: the snares of death prevented me."

Psalms 40:2-3 - "He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings. And He hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the LORD."

The word pit can be another word for hole. The pit can be the grave from which it was believed there was no deliverance or escape. It was a place of no return! This thought is reiterated by Job. However, Jesus proved that belief to be wrong!

Job 16:22 - "When a few years are come, then I shall go the way whence I shall not return."

Job 17:14-16 - "I have said to corruption, Thou art my father: to the worm, Thou art my mother, and my sister. And where is now my hope? as for my hope, who shall see it? They shall go down to the bars of the pit, when our rest together is in the dust." 

When that force lays hold of us and places us in a hole, it is in truth another challenge to the validity of the power of the One who has already allowed Himself to be placed in a hole but came forth from that hole victorious and completely wholeholding all power in heaven and in earth. 

The One who came out of the hole lives in us, has hold of us. We must hold fast to Him even when in a hole and remember He will not let go of His hold on us. If we do, He shall free us of the hold of the evil one and bring us out of the hole, free and completely whole.

Isaiah 41:10-13 - "Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of My righteousness.  Behold, all they that were incensed against thee shall be ashamed and confounded: they shall be as nothing; and they that strive with thee shall perish. Thou shalt seek them, and shalt not find them, even them that contended with thee: they that war against thee shall be as nothing, and as a thing of nought. For I the LORD thy God will hold thy right hand, saying unto thee, Fear not; I will help thee."

Hebrews 10:23 - "Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for He is faithful that promised;)" 

It is a marvelous and amazing Truth that The One – Jesus Christ – who submitted to the hold to be placed in a hole came forth whole. He now does His greatest work in holes!

"Oh, Jesus, we do not have to climb up to heaven to bring Thee down, for Thou art here. If I'm in a hole, Thou art in the hole with me - to release me. All I need to do is to stop turning my back on Thee. Thou art here. Amen."
Afffirmation for the Day: "In view of the Here-ness of Jesus, I am not alone and I am not without Resources." [These two quotes taken from "The Word Made Flesh" by E. Stanley Jones]


Editor's Note: Betty Austin is the mother of Laurel Williams. (See "Covered" in this issue.) Betty and her husband, Charles R. Austin, attend The Apostolic church (Pastor Steve Warman) in Auburn Hills, Michigan. There, she teaches the women's class in rotation and conducts one on one Bible studies in her home.


No comments:

Post a Comment