Tuesday, July 31, 2012

That Ship has Sailed

By Rachel Cotharp

Today my heart took a trip, back to another trip; not one I took, but one I wanted to take. I'd planned it carefully, made all my preparations, told all my friends. It was going to be glorious, the future seemed like a long, lovely trip on a luxury ship. But to my dismay, my heart's bitter disappointment, that ship sailed... without me.

I stood on the pier ever so long watching through burning tears as it pulled away from the dock, so close I could reach out and touch it. I could hear the music playing on the deck and smell the delicious dinner being set on the tables. If I closed my eyes I WAS there, but when I opened them, I was alone.

There went my dream, streamers floating in the breeze. Here I stood with my luggage, in my traveling dress, with my ticket in my hand... hurting... humiliated.

I wish I could tell you that I turned and wiped my eyes and made the best of it. But I didn't. I stood there on the pier and grew bitter. As the people passed by I yelled to them of my loss. I railed against the ship, the captain, and the crew. I wailed and wept and waved my ticket. I lamented my loneliness and sat on my luggage.

I'm not sure how long I would have stayed there, pouting on the pier; but thankfully, a wise one came along and listened to me. He heard out the sad, sad story of the Ship that Sailed. He listened while I (again) poured out my tale of woe. After listening to my lament over how wrong I had been done, he asked to see my ticket. Silently, he took out a pen, wrote on it, and handed it back to me.

I took it in hand, looked at what he had seen, that I had not seen before... and everything changed. There, circled in red, was the name of my ship - the Titanic.

What had felt like a crushing blow was now seen as a beautiful blessing. What I had mourned with self-pity, was in actuality a preservation. What I thought would sink me, saved me.

I'm not the only one. I've seen folks who jump off the pier, swim out to the boat, and insist on having their trip at any cost - folks who leave their spouse and their children to go chase a dream, a goal... folks who leave their integrity behind, jump in another boat and chase after their ship, only to go down in the whirlpool the sinking ship leaves in its downward plunge. They would have been better off to weep, wave, and then walk away.

What ship has sailed for you? What dream have you watched grow distant, On what pier are you wasting time? Let me circle something on your ticket. Look there, below your plans; see Psalm 37:23 written just below it. The steps of the righteous are ordered by God.

Go ahead, unpack your bags, tape your ticket inside your Bible. Let God bring you through the disappointment. Let God wash your bitter tears. Since the steps of the righteous are ordered by the Lord, you can pick up your bags and march off that pier, head held high. You did not miss the boat. Your ship WILL come in - when it is the right ship for you. God's plans for us are so much bigger than our plans. You can trust Him. When He steps in it's because He sees a shipwreck while we only see a luxury liner.

Editor's Note: Rachel Coltharp is the wife of Brent Coltharp, pastor of First Apostolic Church of Aurora, Illinois and Superintendent of the Illinois District (UPCI). Rachel is a homeschooling mother of four and speaks throughout the country in varioius venues. Her wrtings are always worthy of thoughtful consideration. 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment