Sunday, June 30, 2013

Who's the Boss?

By Rachel Coltharp

Submission is not an easy thing. From the moment we are born, we fight for our own way. I am no exception. Submission grates my skin like sandpaper, its grit rubs me raw; exposing the real me underneath. While it goes against our nature, everyone submits to someone.

It's what you do when you choose to be employed. You submit your "mission" of sleeping till noon, talking/texting to your friends all day - to their "mission" of being productive in whatever area they direct. It's what you do when you choose to stop at a red light when you'd rather plow on through because there are no other cars on the road but yours. It's what you do when you choose to pay your taxes rather than spend them on a vacation to Hawaii. Submission is part of our everyday life.

The heavy handed misuse of the principle of submission by non-Christ-like individuals has given it a bad image. The true pattern found in I Peter is that of a husband who takes time, effort, and energy to study and learn his wife - to get a Ph.D. in her! Husbands are instructed in I Peter 3:7 to study her, to honor her, and treat her as an equal in Christ, and is warned that if he doesn't, God will not hear his prayers. In Rachel language, this says, "Look here son, I'm trusting you with my precious baby girl. Get to know her, what makes her tick, and remember she's MINE, before she is yours. Treat her like MY daughter should be treated. And if you don't, don't even bother coming to Me with your petitions for repentance, provision, or protection.

You don't get any more serious than that - to have your connection to the Father cut off. God takes this authority/submission thing seriously. So should we.

As a follower of Christ, I choose submission to my spiritual authority (Pastor) and to my husband. I do not find it to be an easy thing. Simple, yes. Easy, no.

In choosing submission, I find that I learn a LOT about myself. I see that I am often selfish. I see that I am easily irritated. I see that I have a lot of pride. And I would NEVER see these things if I did not choose submission. The weaker me wants things MY way. The undisciplined me wants things MY way. It takes strength and stamina to push past me, the big fat baby me, to get to the best me.

What about you? Who do you submit to? Who has veto power in your life? How are you doing in submitting your will/mission to that of your authority? Do you take your role of spouse/parent/child/spiritual authority seriously?

Everyone follows someone. Everyone leads someone. I beg you to prayerfully consider your role in submission. Someone's soul may be at stake. Maybe yours.

Editor's Note: Rachel Coltharp is the wife of Brent L. Coltharp, (Illinois District Superintendent,) pastor of First Apostolic Church of Aurora, Illinois. She is not only a pastor's wife, but mother of four, friend of many, homeschool teacher extraordinaire, consoler, writer and speaker, and wearer of many hats. Her joy and wisdom reveals her as a modern-day Proverbs 31 lady. It's a privilege to reprint this article written recently.

No comments:

Post a Comment