Thursday, October 31, 2013

Wife of a Bandit - A Testimony

By Jill Friedman

My husband was unsaved, but he would say... "I'm coming; you can't change a bandit overnight." (but God can!)

For years, my husband would hum verses and choruses to old gospel songs he did not know. I started to notice what they were... "An Old Account Settled" was one, another was "Marching to Zion" (like our choir used to sing when I was a child). He also would whistle "I Remember When My Burdens Rolled Away." Hearing these gave me hope down through the years.

Then one Saturday, after 34 years of marriage, I was thinking of buying something at the store and felt a check in my Spirit - so I did not go.

My husband came home heavily burdened like never before. He felt that if he did not act, something horrible would happen. Feeling deep grief and heavy conviction, he didn't know how to rid himself of it, or what it was. He tried to talk to his mother - that did not help. Then he talked to me and I encouraged him to talk to Pastor and come to church.

When he came that Sunday morning, he was desperate, crying and repenting. He returned for the evening service and felt he had to be baptized in Jesus, Name that night to get relief from the weight bearing down on him. He didn't want to wait until the following Sunday for Bro. Grisham to get back into town - felt he had to deal with this right away. So, he was baptized immediately and has faithfully attended ever since (eight years now). His joy over being forgiven was great - so was his worship. He didn't know many of the choruses we sing, so he would whistle along. As he did, his face reflected the gladness in his heart. 

About a year later, he was still seeking the Holy Ghost, we went to Michigan Camp Meeting. I would get to the tabernacle early to save a front row seat, waiting and lifting my hands in worship as people entered for service. On the second to last night of camp, Bro. Lee Stoneking prayed for my husband. However, he did not receive the Holy Ghost that night. The next night, the last night of camp,my Jewish husband received the Holy Ghost in a miraculous way, speaking like a warrior or an Old Testament prophet in a very unusual dialect I had never heard before. Since then, he has been used many times by the Lord in witnessing to his Jewish friends and relatives. Seeds are being planted - God will give the increase. 

Never give up! God is able! "This is the Lord's doing, and it is marvelous in our eyes!"

P.S. The next song God gave him was, "Bringing in the Sheaves!" Hallelujah!



No comments:

Post a Comment