Friday, February 28, 2014

A Roomful of Thoughts

By Charlotte M. Wholters

I read something interesting about Martha Stewart. The person who wrote the piece basically said that using her ideas was a way to show off to your friends. I was stunned when I read that because it sounded very like the truth to me! I had never thought of Martha Stewart in that way before. In fact, I've admired her work. Bur what is really more fun; spending three hours making color-coordinated coasters or showing them to your friends? It struck me that Martha Stewart is very appropriately named - Martha.

"It came to pass, as they went, that He entered into a certain village; and a certain woman named Martha received Him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus' feet, and heard His Word. But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to Him, and said, Lord, doest Thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? Bid her that she help me. And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things: but one thing is needful; and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her." (Luke 10:38-42)

Then I read a quote by Benjamin Franklin that said if all the world was blind but him, he wouldn't care to have a fancy home or furniture. Wow! It makes me wonder how much of what we do is motivated by what others think? I want to spend some time mulling that over and I want to dissect my decisions with that scalpel. This could take a while. It's painful to think this way. Sometimes I think the Lord leads us in a particular direction for a reason.

I think there's a reason why I stumbled across both that point made about both Martha Stewart and Benjamin Franklin's quote recently. It's certainly normal for a married lady and mother of three to worry and grieve about not managing to be like Martha Stewart. But I think the Lord has something better for me! I'm going after that good part; the one thing that's needful: sitting at the feet of Jesus and hearing His Word.
_____________________

Editor's Note: Charlotte, her husband James,and their three children; Camilla, Joshua, and Grace, live in Sterling, Virginia. They attend The Original Pentecostals (Pastor Raymond E. Windsor,) in Leesburg, VA. 


No comments:

Post a Comment