Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Little Things Mean a Lot

By Carol Warfield

After some bad experiences, I've never cared much for dogs. They dig up holes in the yard, shed hair on most everything they touch, they bark too loud and upset the neighbors, they chew up things, the smell turns me off, and they've been known to bite people.

One of my granddaughters went to an adoption show and saw this cute little shihtzu and yorkshire mixed dog, mostly black with some white. She decided to buy the dog for $350.00 and brought it home with her. She was raising two young children on her own and had to go to work to support them. Caring for the dog became too much for her, so she called her mother, (my daughter,) to take the dog. As we all know, our parents will, for the most part, be there when their children are in need. Mama took the dog, but she also had a big, dark chocolate lab and a cat, plus two birds and a fish tank. She and her husband work also.

One day, while stiiting in her living room floor, playing with this cute little dog, her husband said, "You have too many pets for us to care for, what with both of us working." So, as she wondered what to do, she felt that the Lord spoke to her and said, "Take the dog to your mother."

"But Lord, she doesn't like dogs!" she thought. The thought came again, "Take it to your mother." This was on a Friday morning. So she said, "If this is You, Lord, when I go there, let my father say, 'I always wanted a dog.'"

She called us and said, "Mom, I'm coming over." I agreed and she came in with this little dog following along. For some reason I couldn't understand, I loved that little cute dog at first sight, I did!

As she sat down in my living room floor with this dog, she began to tell the history of this special little dog. She had been in a hurricane in the south in 2005. She had suffered broken ribs and was with four puppies yet to be born then placed for adoption. As she talked about this dog, named "Minnie," (my mother's name,) my husband, who was suffering with gout in both of his feet and getting around with a walker, was sitting on the couch with the walker in front of him. He leaned over to take hold of the walker with both hands and said, "I always wanted a dog."

My daughter got a big smile on her face and said, "Dad, you just got yourself a dog!" Now we were hoping that Minnie would bond with dad, but that didn't happen. She bonded with me!

The moment that little dog came through our front door, my attitude changed toward dogs. The Lord placed a special love in my heart for this cute little dog. I soon learned that all the things I didn't like about dogs, Minnie didn't do. God designed this little dog especially for me, knowing my likes and dislikes.

For the past two years, the dog will be wherever I am, in the house, on the couch, by the living room table while I'm reading my Bible; she lays right by me. She loves car rides, so if my husband goes to get something at the store, he'll say, "Come on Minnie, you can go." Minnie will come over where I'm sitting and look as if to say, "Mom, are you going?"

I'll say, "No, but you can go." She'll just lay down on the floor as if to say, "If mom doesn't go, neither do I." My husband just laughs and says, "Mom, you got yourself a dog!" I cannot tell you how much joy and pleasure Minnie has given me since coming to live with us.

Extra work? Oh yes! Potty training her that first week, getting up in the night to let her out, keeping her bowl clean and full of water, providing food and treats when she does good, giving her a bath when she starts to smell like a dog, cutting her pretty, long, curly, black hair in the summer to keep her cool; these are just a few of the things involved in taking good care of our pets.

The Scripture comes to mind, "In everything, give thanks." With all my children grown and out of the house, God knew the void it left - time on my hands - and the need of something to care about. This little dog helps to occupy my time, to fill the gap, and keep me feeling needed and loved. He gave me this cute little dog to enjoy while finishing out my years in this life. These dogs live for about fifteen years. I'll be long gone by then and won't have to lay her to rest.

What a wonderful God we serve. He said He would supply all our needs. Thank You, God, for bringing little Minnie all the way from Hurricane Katrina to Michigan to bring happiness to a seventy-three year old lady who needed to know that all dogs are different, just like people. Live and learn!

Editor's Note: Carol Warfield and her husband, Don, senior saints here at New Life, are busy about the work of the Lord. He heads up our Home Bible Study ministry and teaches the Adult Sunday School class in rotation, both serve as ushers, and she reads through the Bible several times a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment