Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Are You Willing to Be a Hinge?

By Scott A. Phillips

"Big doors swing on small hinges."

I sat across the table from a retired missionary. He shared with me his original conversion. They were raised devout Baptist. His wife and he got hungry, they started praying and seeking God because they knew there was more. An Apostolic church planter moved next door.

God showed them the born again message and they became missionaries for over twenty years. The church that was their beginning is not even there any more. But these, the first converts of a home missions church, ministered around the world.

He told me, "We had a burden for this particular country. We got there and we accomplished one thing in two years, and then, due to the political situation, left, and we never lived in that country again. I wondered sometimes why God did not let us stay where He gave us a burden, but we know we accomplished one thing... We spent the rest of our life ministering in other fields."

I know another missionary who died a few years ago. Saved in a storefront Home Missions church, which also isn't there today; he ministered in another country and another language until his death.

We only read of Ananias once. However, that one time he was instrumental in the conversion of Saul/Paul. Much of the New Testament was written by Paul and much of the world was reached through Paul's ministry. I would say that is pretty good.

At times, it's hard to quantify what we are accomplishing. Some sow, some water, and others get the increase. The other day, I told my wife, "I know we are in the will of God, I expect more, but I know God is working."

The following Sunday, we were at a restaurant and a family we had spent months working with was there. I got to share Acts 2:38 with them. I got to baptize them. I saw them get the Holy Ghost. Then they moved and we lost contact. They told us they have been going to another Apostolic church. I was disappointed in my flesh, but it was like a confirmation. I am glad they are in an Apostolic church; I rejoice in that.

That is why the Bible says we are foolish to compare ourselves among ourselves. We really don't know the full extent of what someone else is doing - and no one may truly know what you are doing.

What if God sends one to accomplish one task and it seems they have failed, yet they fulfilled the exact and precise thing the Lord sent them to do? John the Baptist's ministry lasted nine months. I am sure he thought he had failed God as he sat in that cold prison. But we know he fulfilled his purpose.

Are we willing to be humble enough to see ourselves as part of God's plan... and maybe a small part?

Some want to pound their chest and be proud of what they can take credit for. Others hang their head because they are discouraged. Get your head up. Get your eyes on Him. He knows the score. He will be the One that rewards us. Are you willing to be a hinge?

Editor's Note: Bro. Scott Phillips pastors New Birth Church in Clinton, Mississippi. His ministry is far-reaching, in that he not only preaches the Word in Clinton, but he is also a prolific writer, with a blogsite and several books to his credit. Additional Note: Here are a few Biblical "hinges" - the widow who ministered to Elijah, the captive Hebrew maid who witnessed to Namaan's wife, the servant who persuaded Namaan to go ahead and dip in Jordan seven times, the little boy who shared his lunch, the Syro-Phoencian woman who wanted "crumbs," the good Samaritan, and the unnamed heroes of faith mentioned in Hebrews 11.

No comments:

Post a Comment