Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Persevere!

By Rufus M. Parker

Text: Luke 18:1-8
Key Verse: Luke 18:1 - "And He spake a parable unto them to this end, that men ought always to pray, and not to faint."

Do you ever get to a point that you wonder why pray? I'm sure that there are many who do; especially when they feel the wicked are getting the upper hand, or they feel God isn't answering them in a timely manner. What I find is that those who feel this way are usually focusing on themselves and their needs and not the needs of others.

In the Scriptures we find that Jesus prayed for Himself once - and that was in the garden before His crucifixion. He prayed, "O My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from Me." But He concluded, "Nevertheless, not as I will, but as Thou wilt." Jesus had a consistent prayer life, but it was praying for others.

Paul told Timothy to pray for others. (I Timothy 2:5) Jesus said that if we will pray, we too will not quit and lose heart. Here in Luke 18, Jesus impresses upon us two important things about prayer; faith and consistency.

The Berlin Wall came down because people were consistent. When people really want something, if they are consistent long enough, they will get others to hear them. Faith causes us to believe that Jesus will answer. Consistency says, "I won't give up until I am heard." If we are not consistent in our prayer life, we will not maintain the faith we need when Jesus comes.

Sing: "I will not be denied. I will not be denied. Til Jesus comes and makes me whole, I will not be denied."

Editor's Note: Bro. Parker, former missionary to Okinawa, now pastors Calvary Apostolic Church UPC in La Crosse, Wisconsin. He is the author of several books and publishes a daily devotional called, "Morning Manna."

No comments:

Post a Comment