Monday, December 2, 2013

A Costco Jesus

By Rachel Coltharp

Through the years I have had several inexpensive nativity sets, (oft destroyed by my kids,) and for the past few years we have used a "Fisher Price" kid-friendly set. But in my heart, I’ve longed for a "Big Girl" nativity set. 

Imagine my delight when I ventured upon an heirloom set at Costco; hand painted, with intricate details. It was really, truly lovely. But it wasn’t really truly realThe middle-eastern Jewish family had been replaced by a pale skinned, fair eyed, silky haired European family. I'm guessing that the pale skinned Jesus is an easier sell to pale skinned buyers. And at Costco, it's all about the sell. So though it was beautiful, I just couldn’t buy it. I don’t want to buy a Jesus who's been altered to look like me.

How many times do we find this has happened? Biblical has been altered, for a better "sell."

Songs that sound beautiful, with notes that strike an emotional chord in our hearts, but words are not at all like those of Jesus... Songs easy on the ear, and just as easy on our sin.

Or doctrines that come along that are easier on the ear than the sounds of bleating lambs slaughtered for sin, or of nails being hammered into flesh. Doctrines that do not call us to give up our sins, or take up our cross.

How many times, in the market place of ideas, have we chosen and purchased an altered idea of Jesus, one who thinks, acts and reacts, remarkably like us? The modern version of Jesus is often one who isn’t too concerned about heaven or hell. It's one who is more concerned with social issues than sin issues. The modern idea of Jesus is less controversial than the real one. And he looks a lot like our American culture, but he doesn’t look a lot like the Biblical one.

A Jesus who looks and acts like like me won't call me to change to be like him. And the “me” version of Jesus, won’t save me... from sin, or from myself.

So, as much as I love the LOOK of the Costco set, I put it back on the shelf. I’ll wait for something that represents Him - the real Him. The little brown skinned baby, with His brown skinned mother, and His brown skinned step-father.

And I'll pass on the modern Jesus. The one calls me to no sacrifice. I want the authentic Savior. One that will save me in, and from, my sins. I don’t want a Jesus who looks like me... 

I'm not going to buy into a Costco Jesus.

Editor's Note: Rachel is the wife of Brent Coltharp, District Superintendent for the state of Illinois, and pastor of First Apostolic Church in Aurora.


No comments:

Post a Comment